This rig is in it’s first Beta version. I created this rig with the purpose of testing my leg rigging tool, while exploring what goes into an ideal leg/foot rig. The main focus is the legs, and the rest of the rig is very simple FK. I would love to hear your opinions on what you would like to see in an IK leg rig. Please send your feedback, and I consider it for the next version.
Thus far I have these features:
- No FK switching. This is not a feature, but FK was not important in my exploration.
- No Flip knee. I have heard mixed feelings on this, but I personally hate chasing around a pole vector.
- Stretchy. The stretch relies on joint translates rather than scale. I make games, so scale is bad. I am cheating the stretch with a wire deformer.
- Bendy. I decided to try something other than the currently established setups. Again, I am using the same wire deformer to achieve the bend. This works, but I would prefer a bone driven setup that would work in games. I will be changing the way the bend works after some additional exploration.
- One attribute to control the foot roll from heel to toe. Personally I love this because I don’t have to worry about dealing with 3 attributes. Some animators probably wan’t more control, but I say give this a go.
- A pivot point on the foot that can be animated. The foot pivots on just about every area depending on the action. This type of control will let you change that on the fly.
- A few handy attributes like root follow, toe flap, twist control, and amount of stretchy.
- The leg stretch needs to allow the leg to be straightened more easily when using the foot roll.
- Need more control over the amount of geometry squash and stretch.
- Not able to re-position the knee armor.